The Region 3 Ohio History Day Associate is responsible to the Region 3 Ohio History Day Coordinator/CHC Education and Public Programs Manager and works closely with the CHC Programs Coordinator. The History Day Associate is responsible for the successful implementation of all History Day related programming, as well as the successful execution of the Region 3 Ohio History Day (HD) Competition presented by the Cleveland History Center both on and off site.
This position is classified as Temporary, part time and non-exempt with regard to overtime. Period of Employment will be September - April with increased hour requirements from January - March
This position, in conjunction with the Region 3 Ohio History Day Coordinator, supervises and trains all History Day volunteers, interns and judges.
The History Day Associate assists in the coordination of one of Ohio's largest regional History Day competitions, to be held on Saturday, March 3, 2018. The HD Associate coordinates staffing, competition logistics, day-of event details and related programs with Cleveland History Center staff and department heads, pertinent Case Western Reserve University faculty and staff, as well as History Day students, parents, teachers and judges.
1. Maintain and update competition database.
2. Problem-solve competition database glitches by consulting software support and the Ohio History Day State Coordinator.
3. Communicates any software or competition problems/issues with the Region 3 Ohio History Day Coordinator immediately.
4. Facilitates teacher, student and parent usage of the online registration and payment systems, sending notices and answering email and phone inquiries in a timely fashion.
5. Monitors the HD phone extension and HD email account via WRHS voicemail and email systems.
6. Develop and execute informational HD overviews and project development sessions for schools and classrooms.
7. Plan and facilitate two (2) History Day REV Ups in conjunction with WRHS Archives and Research Library staff.
8. Assist in the development and execution of teacher workshops, a minimum of two per year.
9. Judge In-School History Day Fairs as requested.
10. In concert with the Region 3 Ohio History Day Coordinator, recruit returning and new judges, teachers, schools and community groups to participate in Region 3 Ohio History Day.
11. Produce HD informational flyers and forms as needed, coordinating with the Ohio History Day State Coordinator and CHC Marketing Manager when needed.
12. Compose accurate informational documents, emails and e-blasts for teachers, students, parents, volunteers and judges.
13. Compose website verbiage; submit approved updates CHC Web Master in a timely fashion.
14. Create and prepare all necessary contest day materials, directional signage, schedules, maps, award ceremony programs, etc.
15. Assist in set-up and logistics for competition day.
a. Secure all CWRU rooms, parking, and security.
b. Order catering for judges at both locations.
c. Order and prepare all office supplies and materials.
d. Order judge gifts, student swag and trophies.
e. Submit all financial paperwork to the Region 3 Ohio History Day Coordinator accurately and in a timely fashion.
f. Create staffing plan for set-up, competition day and tear-down of event.
16. Be present for HD and lead competition results tabulation, run-off judging, and results report for the awards ceremony on competition day and for release to general public.
17. Sort and return Judge Scoring Sheets to the appropriate classroom teacher either the day of the competition or by mail.
18. Construct History Day after-action report.
19. Develop History Day results press announcements, web and social media postings, including state and national winners, as coordinated with the CHC Marketing Manager.
20. Compile and disseminate all statistical reports as required.
21. Archive all competition materials and create a transfer of knowledge plan for the 2019 Region 3 Ohio History Day Competition.
1. Must have EXCEPTIONAL organizational and communication skills and include proficiency in Microsoft Office database and spreadsheet management, mail merges, G-Suite products from Google, and publishing simple forms and flyers.
2. Must be highly detail-oriented and have exceptional grammar and writing skills.
3. Must be able to prioritize, but also have extreme flexibility.
4. Must exhibit tact, enthusiasm, and professional behavior.
5. Must be dependable and reliable and be able to excel when constrained by a time-sensitive schedule.
6. Must have the ability to work with a wide range of museum personnel, to work independently, and also willingly function as a member of a team.
7. Must be able to delegate tasks to other team members, train them and follow-up to ensure accurate task completion.
8. Must have a willingness to work evening and weekend hours. Open availability for the months of January - March is required.
9. Must desire to contribute to the success of all students and teachers participating in the National History Day academic program.
10. Possessing knowledge of American and Western Reserve history, and training or experience in education is helpful, preferably having an undergraduate degree in social studies, social sciences, humanities, or education; teaching experience in the K-12 range of grades or experience in a museum or youth educational program is beneficial.
TO APPLY TO THIS POSITION PLEASE SEND A COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO JAN WATERMAN, HR ASSOCIATE (see below)
ONLY CANDIDATES WHO HAVE SUBMIT BOTH A COVER LETTER AND RESUME WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Employment Type: Temporary
Work Hours: Part Time
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Adrants